Sakura

Sakura

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween and Whales

For Halloween this year, I dressed up in my entirely overdone vampire costume and went trick-or-treating with some of my besties. While walking up and down the street, knocking on every door with a light on, I noticed there was a lot of trash on the ground. Even though I was wearing a dressy ball gown and heels, plus the fact that I hurt my knees and it pained me to stoop down, I would pick up each and every piece of garbage that I saw. Now I know a lot of you are thinking, "what a hippy! she's going to start chanting 'save the whales' in some druggy voice any second now." And that's true. I am a hippy, but only because I realise that this planet is limited. We cannot just take all the resources and leave garbage in it's wake, or we'll be left with a giant planet full of junk, like in Wall-E. I'm not saying you should go all out and be, you know, a 'hippy' (another one of those unfortunate stereotypes). But I am saying you should balance out how much you take from the planet with how much you give back. Pick up random garbage, turn off lights and don't use gallons of water to take a shower (as my dad would say, "save some for the fishies!"). These are all small steps you can take to help out, even if you think that our Earth and it's resources will last forever. Anyway, my friends started teasing me about my weird habbit and one even went so far as to try and stop me from picking up some trash. (you know who you are! :D) I'm not mad at them for that, but I wish that teenagers would realise that there is more to life than being absolute slobs and expecting other people to clean up your messes. Don't forget that animals need ambassadors, just like other countries. They aren't present to speak for themselves, but they still matter. I mean, even if we could live without other species and life forms, (which we can't) would you really want to? Animals are great for soothing the mind, learning responsibility, and eating. And yes, I really did just say that. I'm no vegetarian, essentially because I like the taste of meat, but also because that's the natural order of things. Organisms eating other organisms. What I hate, is people who kill animals for NO REASON. If a lion were to chance upon another animal, which for arguments sake, isn't even it's normal prey, and it's not hungry, IT WOULD NOT KILL IT. It wouldn't kill it for sport, it wouldn't kill it out of spite, it would not kill it. Why should we kill animals for sport? Why destroy a life for any other reason except to use it in death? One of the reasons I love native americans so much is that they kill and animal, eat it, and then use it's bones, teeth, organs and anything else. They don't just leave it to rot, or only take the skin. They use every part they can. Anyway, as you are all munching your delicious Halloween candy, I hope you will take the time to think about exactly where your wrapper is going. Garbage can? Street? Under the couch? Then where-to a landfill? Do you even have any idea what is going to happen to it?

2 comments:

  1. That's good that you had the conviction to bend down so much!

    As for diversity, I do impose a certain stereotype, and that is Mexicans know how to make a really good taco. I'm not saying every Mexican is a taco genius, but I have yet to find a taco from Mexico or a Mexican mart I didn't like. Taco Bell is a disgrace in my opinion. What in the world is Taco Seasoning anyway? Also, I think that's dumb that people make fun of you for being blonde. People can be very stupid sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah some stereotypes are virtually harmless, and I agree. Taco Bell is a disgrace. P.S. I went to Barnes and Nobles today, and a found some cheap pencils made out of old newspapers. I bought them as soon as I laid eyes on them, and I absolutely love them. Eco-friendly all the way!

    ReplyDelete