Sakura

Sakura

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Internet & Sushi

             Has anyone ever said to you that they didn't realize what they had until it was gone? That is exactly how I felt these past few weeks. We had our internet canceled because we were a little low on cash, and every time I got an assignment that required going online, I would have to bike down to the library.
              You have no idea how many cold, lonely trips I made down there, fighting for a spot at one of the computers. And then when I actually got on a computer there was the timer that came up every five minutes saying, '15 minutes left' and so on. You see, to circulate the computers, you had thirty minutes on them and them someone from the waiting list would be automatically logged on if there was anyone waiting for a computer. Then you would have to gather your stuff, type in your login number and password on the waiting list, and wait for a computer to open up. If there wasn't anyone on the waiting list, you just had to log in again and continue whatever you were doing. There were lots of other complications of using those computers, which I won't go into here because it would be dreadfully boring.
              Anyway, my dad decided to get internet back, and instead of biking down to the library in all this snow, I'm sitting at home, warm and comfy, typing all this up. Now I can blog for as long as I want, without nosy people looking over my shoulder and an annoying timer in the bottom right hand corner.
           
               Also today, I'm going to Osaka to eat all the sushi I want. I just got my last paycheck as a Frightmares! employee, and I'm going to spend it on mouthwatering nori, rice, and assorted fish. For my birthday my Mom bought me a Asian cooking set with a rice maker, a bamboo mat, a ginger grater, and a lot of other cooking utensils.
                It also came with instructions and a recipe for sushi, so I made homemade sushi. Let me tell you, sushi is the hardest thing I've ever 'cooked'. First you need short grain rice, and of course I had to get long grained. The problem with that is that it cooks differently, looks bad, and doesn't fit nearly as well in or on the sushi. Then, you mix the freshly cooked rice with sugar, salt, and vinegar. It sounds weird, but it tastes delicious. The next part is the hardest, although it was slightly easier for me because I had a mold for the inside of the sushi. You have to take a sheet of nori (dried seaweed sheets) and pack rice on it, then whatever you want on the inside. You then fold it all up with the bamboo sheet, making sure that the edges of the nori touch and it stays a perfect circle. It sounds easy typed up here, but it was way hard. The nori wasn't long enough, There was too much rice, and the carrots and the fish wouldn't stay put. I made about five rolls with imitation crab meat, smoked salmon, and ginger. I also found a tube of wasabi that no one else but me would eat, on account of it's spiciness.
                Making my own sushi was a really fun experience, with a really tasty product. Lately I've been really interested in cooking, and you can even ask my friends. I always end up bringing them some of whatever I've made, which so far consists of sweet bread & banana bread.I have some frozen pie crusts in the freezer, and a brand new cookbook, so we'll see what I bake next.

1 comment:

  1. By the way, I went to Osaka (the sushi place) and I ordered sashimi. Don't ever, ever order that unless you like raw slabs of fish. Took me forever to choke 'em down, and then I felt a little puky, even though I never puke in the face of gross food.

    ReplyDelete