Sakura

Sakura

Friday, December 2, 2011

School Closed Due to Wind Damage

             Today is Friday, and I got to sleep in until nine. Why? Because yesterday winds up to 100 mph were recorded (as was the case in Centerville.) These winds were so powerful they toppled trees, semi-trucks, and fences. Power outages affected nearly 50,000 homes and businesses. All in all, there was tons and tons of damage and FFJH was sent home early. Although I've been told that Thursday wasn't an official off day, today definitely is.
              Now I'm not saying that I am glad for these gale force winds, or for the damage they inflicted, but they were beautiful. Sitting in school next to a courtyard full of whipping leaves left me breathless. At first there was a giant pile of leaves just sitting there, accumulated by the winds. Then the wind would steal a few leaves, and gently float them in a circle. It looked to me like they were dancing. Then  there was the exciting part: the wind mustered it's energy and sent the whole pile sliding across the windows, then up and out of the courtyard. For about two minutes, there was not a single leaf left in that courtyard and one by one they decided to come back. I would see and orange leaf slam into the corner, than a few amber leaves whip back and forth between the window panes. All I could do was sit and stare with my mouth open, not realising that the door was jerking, trying to open. I noticed too late, as the doors finally caved sending wind and leaves in all directions. I jumped from my seat, determined to close them before anyone noticed. I finally wrestled them closed, and stuck my book through the handles to keep them in place. After a few more jerky motions, the doors rested easy and I took my book back. I sat there, panting and thinking about how beautiful weather can be, yet how destructive.
           If you were to take a drive down any street in Kaysville, you would see giant uprooted pine trees, toppled poles, and countless caved in fences. There is so many accounts of damage that I get sad everytime I think about it. Luckily, my house was out of the way and we still have electricity and minimal damage was inflicted. Our garbage can tried to run away, and my dogs practically went crazy in the back yard, but other than that I was untouched. My friends on the otherhand have lots of things to clean up, and lots of damage to repair. One of them lost three giant pine trees, and is probably cleaning them up as I type. Coach Levelle from Layton High school had his truck smashed. 20-30 people with wind related injuries went to Mckay-Dee hospital, though most of them were from cuts or bruises inflicted from flying objects, some were in critical condition.
            It just goes to show you how terrifyingly beautiful storms and winds can be. How amazing they look, and yet they inflict so much damage upon homes and businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment