Sakura

Sakura

Monday, April 2, 2012

Life as A Nurse's Daughter

Yesterday my mom took me and my siblings out to Arctic Circle for dinner. As we walked into the establishment, my brothers yelling and competing for mom's attention, I noticed that a teen boy about my age was refilling the ice in the cola machine. He was refilling it using a grungy looking bucket while he stood on the counter, and then used the bottom of the bucket to push down the ice. To me and my sister, this was pretty normal. I mean, he's gotta refill it somehow, doesn't he? Apparently my mom had a different idea.
"I am so calling the health department." She said, under her breath. My sister just gave me a look, one that only sisters or lifelong friends could interpret. It said, 'Looks like another episode. Can you believe this?' to which I replied with a look that said, 'Oh yes, yes I can.' I looked back to my mom approaching the counter, a look on her face that could curdle milk.
"Excuse me, are you the manager?" She asked, feigning a rather sweet voice.
"Yes. Is there a problem?" The stocky lady answered.
The rest was lost to my ears, because at that very moment I turned to Alex and said, "Do you have to go to the bathroom? Because I have to go to the bathroom. Let's go to the bathroom." And walked away, her arm in my hand.
We came back a few minutes later after discovering that they only had a single person bathroom, and pretended we had no idea who the crazy lady with the two boys was. I caught a small tidbit of conversation, and then her voice got louder as she turned towards the door. "I'm so done with this. Come on, kids."
As we left I noticed a few people staring at us, and the boy with the bucket was no longer on the counter. He stood behind it, looking after us with more fear than anything else. I kind of felt bad for that kid; I knew how it felt to be convicted of a crime that 'could kill people'- to take my mother's words. As we walked a little farther down the street to Subway, I remembered countless times when my mother would walk up to the counter and ask for a wash-rag so she could wipe down the table herself.
Weird happenings at fast-food places aren't the only things that have come from a mother in the medical field. There's also the towels, and the pet dishes. Have you ever seen a medical drama? Do you know those blue towels they have in the operating rooms? Yes? Well those are our kitchen towels. Do you know the little plastic containers they have to put organs and other matter into? Those are our pet dishes. Weird, I know, but at least we recycle :D.
Oh, and there's the time my mom got a kidney (not human, don't worry) for our dog, Kaden. But that's a story for another time. Abientot!

2 comments:

  1. Heh heh. That cracked me up. Is this the Arctic Circle by Bowman's? If it is, it's a good thing your mom didn't sit down. Their tables are frequently left uncleaned. :p

    ReplyDelete